it's my blog and I'll write what I damn please

Saturday, September 16, 2006

poetry bus sparks lazyass to start a blog

Hi! I'm writing from the lovely Chicago-Rosemont Holiday Inn Select, enjoying the cable tv and workout spa before I embark on 17 days of bus fun (replete with couch crashing).

Because this is a super low-budget jaunt, I booked my flights with miles (thank you, China!), which placed me comfortably in the middle seat for both. My neighbor on the SF to Chicago leg was a quiet woman in an uncomfortable-looking poly-blend black suit. She didn't bring anything to do, clearly, so she spent the first hour of the flight pulling tiny specks of lint off her suit and picking at the skin around her nails. Then she found the headphones. She put them on and leaned back. And started conducting. Think elementary school music teacher: raised arms, swirling fingertips, aptly timed points to the cymbal. This makes me think of Whitman, just a little,

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear

I wonder what Whitman would have thought of the rightbite snack pack with its assortment of minis (yes, this is our in-flight meal...only $5!).



I am large, I contain multitudes of all natural pita chips and light 'n fit smoothies.

1 comment:

heidib said...

Yes, except that our bus smells like Cheetos.