it's my blog and I'll write what I damn please

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Dedication

I'm on a weird kick this morning of rummaging through dedications.

from The 13 Clocks:
To Jap and Helen Gude
who have broken more than one spell
cast upon the author by a witch or wizard,
this book is warmly dedicated.

from City of Ashes (book 2 in The Mortal Instruments, a YA vampire series):
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.

from Rise Up
Mine.

from Franny and Zooey:
As nearly as possible in the spirit of Matthew Salinger, age one, urging a luncheon companion to accept a cool lima bean, I urge my editor, mentor and (heaven help him) closest friend, William Shawn, genius domus of The New Yorker, lover of the long shot, protector of the unprolific, defender of the hopelessly flamboyant, most unreasonably modest of born great artist-editors, to accept this pretty skimpy-looking book.

No comments: