it's my blog and I'll write what I damn please

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Happy Super (you live in WA and yer vote don't count) Tuesday!

TNR's latest issue has a feature of "eggheads and eminences" talking about who they are voting for. Poet C.K. Williams is voting for Obama, and adds:
I have to say that, as a spectator, I'm much more fascinated by the Republicans. Watching those shifty, devious, unscrupulous creatures clawing at each other in spasms of demagoguery and pander is like beholding the whole vile, fear-driven history of humanity.
And, if you're a Hillary hold-over like me, you might enjoy Erica Jong's not-surprisingly feminist statement, even if the last sentence is a little old school, in an over-the-top, yep, my-mom-would-say-that sort of way. I wish it were more hopeful, but then I could say the same for the H.C. campaign.

1 comment:

Editor Jill said...

I think I read it in Jong's book Bread and Roses, but maybe I stumbled across it online and have forgetten where...anyway, Jong wrote an article about an experience she had when trying to interview HRC. It was angry, questioning why either Hillary or her handlers seemed so intent on making everyone hate HRC. There were many instances of Jong being dissed, inconvienced, and generally treated like a nuisance, and lots of "why is she doing this to me, I am as sympathetic a writer as she will ever get?"
It rings a little off now, to see the women-get-the-hate reasoning.
(This is not to say I don't at least partially agree that women, HRC in particular, get the hate.)